Monday, May 18, 2009

Alaina Joy Ptak has arrived!

Alaina is here! It's a pretty crazy story if you want to "hear" it:
On Thursday May 14th (my brother's bday) I went for my weekly appointment. My blood pressure was high. The nurse asked me to have it checked the next day at work. The next day at work it was still high. I called the doctor and they told me to go to the Labor and Delivery floor at the hospital. I asked if I could wait until the end of the work day. I was told that would be fine. At the end of the school day I was kinda frustrated because I'm tired of going there, being treated like I'm crazy, and sent home. Anyways....called my mom and she said I better go.
So Aaron and I just went to the hospital without any bags or anything because we figured we'd be back that night!
Got the hospital....they put me on the monitor. My BP was still very high and I guess the baby wasn't responding well. The nurse says "You're staying" I said, "What? Why?" She said, "You're having this baby tonight! You're going to be induced" - this was all around 5:00 at night. They checked me and was NOWHERE near ready to give birth. So within the next 3 minutes I went from them telling me I'd be induced to them telling me I needed a C-section. They got me ready. We didn't even have a camera! My friend, Amy, brought hers up to the hospital in the nick of time (Thanks Amy!)
Long story somewhat short - I was given a c-section by the doctor on call (not my doctor). As they were taking her out, the doctor says "Oh my gosh! I have Never experienced this! Oh wow. You need a picture of this" (I'm thinking, what in the world....what could this be??) The baby's umbilical cord was wrapped around her neck FIVE times! Not once or three times but FIVE! They said she looked like one of those women in Africa who put the gold necklaces on themselves to make their necks longer! We laughed but I really didn't know how serious that was. Alaina was born at 7:23 p.m (PST) weighing in at 4 lbs 11 oz , 16.75 inches. She's a tiny lil' peanut! They took her to the NICU for about 4 hours then she was able to come with us. The hospital does "rooming in" where the baby and husband stays in the room with mom.
This morning my own ob-gyn walked into my hospital room. He said "I came to see the Miracle Baby" I didn't really know what he was talking about. He went on to say that Alaina really should not have lived. He said that he had a former patient with the same issue but the baby had died when the mom was 32 weeks along. If I had waited and not gone to the hospital, Alaina would have died. Also if they had induced me and I tried to birth the baby, same case. I started to cry....if you know me you know that's not surprising. She is a lil' miracle. They think she is so tiny because of the cord being like that. She's not premature because I was 37 weeks and 2 days along...she's just really PETITE! Premie clothes barely fit. We didn't even have premie clothes but my friend, Kat went and got us some (Thanks Kat!) The doctor think the cord was like that because she was really active in the beginning of the pregnancy. So I guess she's a teeny lil' gymnast like Shawn Johnson!

3 comments:

  1. unbelievable story! I'm so glad Alaina is healthy! Thank God you went in! She's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, wow! That's so crazy about the cord being wrapped around her neck that many times! I'm so glad she she is ok and that both of you are doing well.

    Having had a c-section with Vincent almost 4 years ago, I have one word of advice.....make sure to move as much as possible. Even if it hurts, if you lie still thinking it will help you heal, it won't. Don't do anything strenuous, obviously, but make sure you walk around. It really helped me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. amazing!!! praise God everything turned out ok and she was born safely. i hope you're adjusting well to motherhood!

    ReplyDelete